THE CHRISTMAS MARKETS OF LYON
Merry Christmas from the Lyon UA team!
The end of the year is getting close, and the traditional and popular Christmas Markets open their chalets! Created in Germany and France (Alsace), from the 90s they spread like wildfire everywhere in Europe. In Lyon, little by little, they have become the popular festive event of families in December. Snowflakes are falling on the roofs of wooden chalets, scents of mulled wine perfuming the place and Christmas lights lighting up the whole Place… There is no better way of fighting the cold than with the fairy-tale festiveness and warm atmosphere of a Christmas Market!
Marché de Noël de la Place Carnot
The most important market in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region is Place Carnot.
This Christmas village located at the end of la Presqu’île will give you (with its 140 wooden chalets) a thousand ideas for presents to put under your Christmas tree. It is also one of the flagship events of the year in Lyon and one of the most awaited events for Lyonnais people. Walk into this authentic and traditional setting to hunt down craft creations, Christmas decorations and present ideas made by local producers and craftspeople.
Are you more into food than presents? Treat yourself with the typical Christmas-flavour sweets: Gingerbread, roasted chestnuts, pretzel, mulled wine and even oysters!
You will also find plenty of activities for children (or Peter Pans), a winter garden and a Canadian village!
Enjoy the magic of Christmas in one of the most significant markets in France!
• When: Until the 24th of December
• Where: Place Carnot
Marché de Noël de la Croix-Rousse
The Christmas Market of Croix-Rousse is the only covered market in Lyon so that it will bring you great comfort no matter the weather.
This year, Place de la Croix-Rousse will become a ski resort and will welcome both young and old in this market organised by the shopkeepers association “Lyon Côte Croix-Rousse”.
On the agenda of this new hill station: a skating ring, events, food stands, horse-drawn carriages, hot chestnuts and many surprises to come!
• When: Until the 30th of December
• Where: Place de la Croix-Rousse
Other Christmas Markets
– Le Marché des Createurs: The Creation Marketplace is the ideal market if you are looking for original presents. More than sixty creators and artisans will be present there. Foodtrucks and musical shows are expected as well!!
When: 14-15 December.
Where: Place Sathonay and Rue Vitet.
– Nöel au Gratte-Ciel: The Christmas Market of Villeurbanne where 25 wooden chalets will be set up! Craftsmen and small producer from the Rhône Valley will come to sell their creations: Jewries, candles, scarfs, honey, and more!!
Performances, workshops, live shows and games will take place on afternoons and weekends.
When: 14-22 December
Where: Avenue Henri-Barbusse, Villeurbanne
– Le Marché aux Sapins de la Place Bellecour: To find a Christmas tree in Lyon you can go to the traditional plant nursery, but you can also go to the Christmas Tree Market in Place Bellecour.
When: 10-24 December.